Emile Auguste Ouchard's cello bow
This bow, gold mounted and tortoiseshell, was made by Emile Auguste Ouchard (1900-1969) circa 1946.
Born in Mirecourt, Emile Auguste is Emile François Ouchard's son. At thirteen years old, he started learning bow making with his father, in the workshop Cuniot-Hury. In 1922, he followed his father when this one founded his own workshop. He took over this workshop in 1937, before leaving it for Paris in 1940, where he moved to 54 rue de Rome. He then went to New-York in 1946, supported by Yehudi Menuhin and came back to France in 1960. He settled down near Pau in Gan. His bows of high quality, perfectly balanced, are more and more sought after.